Just as your hands can give away your age due to sun damage and loss of elasticity, your neck can do the same. We tend to neglect the neck area more than our face, leaving them exposed to the sun and the damage it causes.One of the most obvious signs of ageing are seen over one’s neck. It could be horizontal bands over neck area or sagging skin over the neck, typically known as “Turkey Neck”!
Tips to Prevent & Treat Aging on the Neck
- <span”>Be as consistent with your neck routine as you are with your face. Use the same skin care that you use for your face (cleansing, toning, exfoliating, moisturizing) on your neck as well. Consider adding an anti-aging product to your routine.
- Keep your nutrition rich in anti-oxidants, especially Omega-3 acids. These do wonders for skin rejuvenation by boosting collagen production. You can help create healthier, firmer skin and prevent worse sagging by using products loaded with antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients.
- Protect your exposed neck with daily application of broad-spectrum sunscreen rated SPF 30+.
- Exercise can actually help reverse aging. Keeping your neck muscles toned will help to prevent sagging skin and wrinkles.
- Quit Smoking. If you smoke, here’s another reason to stop. Heavy smokers are almost five times more likely to have excessive wrinkling than non-smokers.
What to do about that sagging?
The first step towards treating neck region would be to work on the health of the skin. This is best done with rejuvenating procedures like PRP, Micro Needling,Erbium YAG Laser. These procedures help restore the ageing process by rebuilding and remodelling collagen fibers.
The second most important factor in ageing is loss of hyaluronic acid which holds moisture in our skin. We all know and agree that a moisturised skin age slowly. Skin over the neck dehydrates quickly as there is not much dermal tissue. To balance this out you can go for hydra boost injection and restore lost HA in the skin.
Once the health is restored, the second step of treatment is to tighten the skin. This can be done with thread lift and high intensity focused ultrasound techniques. Two sessions of each will dramatically reduce sagging and tightens the skin up.
Resistant lines can be filled with hylaronic acid fillers.
Surgical modality is chosen when laxity is more and muscle bulk is very low.
So you can have a beautiful, smooth, young looking neck forever but you just have to keep realistic expectations. No skin care product can magically lift skin. However, the combination of great skin care (which must include daily sun protection all year long) and cosmetic procedures can keep anyone looking younger, longer!