Hyperhidrosis is abnormal excessive sweating without any apparent cause. It is a common disorder which causes a lot of embarrassment and unhappiness. It is more active in axilla, hands, groin and feet . Besides disrupting daily activities hyperhidrosis can lead to emotional distress and social withdrawal. It generally starts during adolescence and can continue throughout life if left untreated.
Hyperhidrosis can be primary that is without any medical cause or secondary which occurs due to underlying medical condition. Thus a thorough systemic evaluation of the causes and step wise treatment approach can help in improving quality of life. However treating hyperhidrosis can be a challenge as many people do not seek medical advise either due to embarrassment or ignorance.
The recommended treatments are as follows:
- Antiperspirants containing aluminium chloride is generally the first line therapy. It is mainly useful for cases with focal hyperhidrosis like axilla. It can be used in the form of antiperspirant sprays.
- Tap water iontophoresis is useful for hyperhidrosis of palms and soles. In this technique a device passes ionized tap water using direct electricity through the skin
- Anticholinergics oral medication reduces sweating by inhibiting the transmission of nerve impulses
- Botulinum Toxin blocks the nerve control that stimulates the sweat gland. It is a US FDA approved procedure. It gives significant improvement in cases of palmoplantar and axillary hyperhidrosis. The effects of this treatment last 6 – 8 months.
- Miradry is a non invasive treatment which uses microwave technology to permanently destroy the sweat and odour glands. It is the latest treatment mainly for axillary hyperhidrosis with promising results in a single session.
- Surgery endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy or sweat gland removal or destruction using lasers are other options available.
There is no need to stress yourself with excessive sweating, consult your dermatologist today and find out the best treatment option available for you.